Wow, it’s been a busy spring and summer. Hope you’re having fun! We’ve spent some good times at Quaker Steak & Lube locations hosting Bike Nights in the past couple of months, talking to NE Ohio dirt bike, motocross, streetbike, chopper owners and motorheads, and we’ve been giving out a lot of advice. (And a few prizes.)
Before Loading Your Motorcycle in a Trailer
Some of these tips fall under the “well-duh” category, but they’re still worth mentioning!
- ALWAYS load when the trailer is hooked up!
- Check for weight balance BEFORE loading your bike (or anything)
- If you’re loading in an enclosed trailer, check door height before loading your bike!
- PUT YOUR KICKSTAND UP AFTER LOADING, unless you’d like a hole in the trailer floor. (No kidding. We see these kind of things in for trailer repair all the time. File under, Don’t Be That Guy!)
- CHECK FOR GREASE on the trailer floor. Missing a slick spot = unhappy surprise landings and unscheduled repairs – to you, your bike and your trailer.
- Check air pressure and lug nuts and make sure your coupler and ball match.
Securing Your Motorcycle in a Trailer
The first most important thing to have, if at all possible, is someone to help you! You can load a motorcycle into a trailer by yourself, but it’s much better – for you, your bike, and your trailer – if you do it with someone else.
Basically, we recommend a four-point tie-down system, and one that does not compress the suspension too much. (A lot depends on your bike, your trailer, and how you’re tying it down – call us if you’d like a demonstration: 440.232.4311)
Improper loading can result in broken springs, broken brackets, snapped cables on doors, and worse. (Good news – we can fix just about anything on a motorcycle trailer. Bad news – it usually means you’ll miss some good riding.)
We’ll be at Quaker Steak & Lube in Valley View for Bike Night on July 19 and August 2 and at the Sheffield location for Bike Night on July 27 and August 17. Stop by, say hi, and enter to win some cool and helpful accessories for your bike.
Did you know we have a couple of motorcycle trailers for rent?
Sure do! Call to reserve – they’re often booked well in advance: 440.232.4311