Just bought a new trailer? Planning to buy soon? We know that feeling! Getting a new (or used) trailer on the road for the first time is exciting. But that thrilling, new-trailer smell is no excuse to overlook the basics.
5 Tips for New Trailer Owners
- IT’S NICE TO HAVE A SPARE! Tire, that is. On the day of your trailer purchase, you can get 20% off the cost of a spare and mount, and we will mount it on your trailer for free.
- In Ohio, trailers must have license plates. To get yours, take your Certificate of Origin to a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office to get your plates. (You do not need to go to the Title Bureau.)
- Know your trailer’s load capacity and stay under the limit. Exceeding load capacity is one of the quickest ways to damage your trailer’s axles.
- Always check to be sure your lights are working properly and that the battery to your breakaway cable is charged.
- Plan to repack your bearings in the next 12-14 months. Don’t want to do it yourself? We can do it for you; call or stop in to schedule.
A trailer is an investment. We share these tips to help you get the most out of it. As with any vehicle, safe operation of your trailer is paramount. If you’re new to hauling (or are adding a new driver to your business) you might want to review this list of safety tips from some of our vendors and other towing and trailer experts: 5 Must-Reads on Safe Towing
People who depend on their trailers depend on JTI. Since 1935, we’ve been Cleveland’s Trailer & Hitch experts. So, yeah, we get really excited about new trailers! We also take pride in keeping trailers on the road, working safely as long as possible, to maximize their owners’ investment. Need trailer repair, service work, parts, or something else? Call or stop by to see why our customers have stuck with us for 80 years. www.JTIinc.com 440.232.4311