Hauling can’t be that hard. After all, the towing vehicle and hitch do all the work, right?
Well, not quite. Below, five articles we consider “must-reads” for anyone new to hauling a trailer.
Essential Towing Safety Tips
If you’re new to trailering, you’ll learn soon enough that it’s not just driving with a little extra weight behind your vehicle. Backing up, breaking, turning, and a few other maneuvers are a lot different when you’re towing a trailer. Here are a few articles we think are must-reads for those new to hauling, or for those who haven’t towed a trailer for some time.
- The Art of Towing highlights some tips and “hard-learned lessons” from the road. Here’s some good advice: learn from someone else’s mistakes. It beats the heck out of learning firsthand. Thanks to TruckTrend for this enlightening article.
- The Right Way to Tow a Trailer from Popular Mechanics takes readers from gears and GVWRs to safety chains, tongue weights and tie-downs. Also a must-read.
- Tips for Maintaining a Cargo Trailer – sounds pretty boring, huh? Well, the North American Trailer Dealers Association disagrees. We contend that safe and sound beats exciting and broken down. We hope you think so too.
- Safe Towing Tips from Fastway Trailer Products – smart stuff from our friends at Fastway.
- Safety Inspection Every Day! Who has time for that? People who don’t have time for unscheduled stops and unpleasant surprises. The only thing that’s optional is the coffee.
We’re really serious about safety. Please read these articles, and share them with everyone you know who tows. We want you to keep rolling!
At JTI, safety is always top of mind. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for more safety tips and news about clinics and workshops for landscapers, toy haulers, snowplow operators, and other Cleveland-area customer groups. www.JTIinc.com